Hands up – who wants 2 rather irresistible and indulgent pancake recipes courtesy of M&S? Then read on.
PANCAKE 1: American Pancakes with Apple and Salted Caramel
• 175g plain flour
• 1.5 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 1large egg
• 175ml milk
• 75g butter
• 120g Cook With M&S Salted Caramel Sauce
• 1 large apple
• 50g pecan nuts
Core and thinly slice the large apples. Roughly chop the pecan nuts.
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar. In a jug, whisk together the egg and milk. Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, removing any lumps. Melt 2 tbsp of the butter and stir into the mixture.
2. Heat a little of the remaining butter in a large, non-stick frying pan. Drop 4 tbsp of the batter into the pan, spacing them out, to make 4 pancakes.
3. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles burst and stay open on the surface. Flip them and cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and keep warm. Repeat to make 12 pancakes in total.
4. Warm the caramel sauce according to the instructions on the jar. Stack 3 pancakes on each serving plate and top with apple slices. Spoon over the sauce and scatter with the pecan nuts.
You can find this recipe on Cook with M&S.
PANCAKE 2: Southern Cherry Syrup Pancakes
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 3)
Stone and quarter the cherries. Zest and juice the oranges. Separate the eggs. Melt the butter.
1 To make the syrup, put 100g sugar and 200ml water into a heavy-based saucepan, and bring to the boil.
2 Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture forms a syrup.
3 Leave to cool.
4 Put the cherries in a bowl with 2 tbsp sugar, the orange zest and juice, and mix evenly to coat.
5 Cover and leave in the fridge to macerate for 30 minutes.
6 Strain the cherries, reserving the liquid. Add the cherry liquid to the cooled syrup base.
7.Heat the oven to 120°C/100°C fan/gas ½. Prepare the pancake batter.
8. 8 Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
9. In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, yogurt or buttermilk, milk and melted butter.
10.Add the dry ingredients, a third at a time, and whisk until you have a thick, relatively smooth batter.
11 Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and gently fold into the batter, until evenly combined.
12. Cover and rest for 10-15 minutes.
13. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat.
14. Brush lightly with butter, then drop 2 tbsp batter into the pan to make pancakes about 10cm in diameter (make two at a time).
15. After 2-3 minutes, or when bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute or until golden.
16. Transfer to the warm oven while you cook the rest.
17. To serve, place 3 or 4 pancakes on each plate.
18. Top with the cherries, syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche.
We'd love you to share an image of your pancakes by tagging us @balancemebeauty. Happy cooking!
With thanks to M&S for all the yummy ingredients.
Sign up to receive regular
news and offers plus 15% off your first order