Mandy Oxley Swan, Balance Me’s Head Facial Therapist shows you how to get a radiant, healthy glow (in the comfort of your own home)
We all know how important it is to carve out some 'me time' and we think that setting aside some time to give yourself a facial is a great way to start. It doesn’t just benefit your face (who doesn’t want smoother, plumper, brighter skin?), it benefits your mind and your body, lowering stress levels, heart rate and blood pressure. Mandy Oxley Swan shares her secrets to a salon-worthy DIY facial.
1. “Set the scene. Line up your products, create a calm environment: light a candle.
2. Ensure your hands are clean and use a headband to keep your hair from your face.
3. Cleanse your face twice. I like to start with a sweep of Flash Cleanse Micellar Water followed by anti-oxidant rich Cleanse and Smooth Face Balm. Really work it into the skin, using upward circular movements, before removing it with a hot flannel or cloth.
4. Exfoliate. I prefer chemical exfoliants as they work more deeply and are less abrasive. Radiance Face Mask has the best of both worlds: natural fruit acid which works to chemically exfoliate and very light, non-abrasive physical ground walnut shell particles that gently polish the skin.
5. Apply a Hyaluronic Mist. With skin freshly cleansed and exfoliated, now is a great time to lock in hydration. Balance Me’s Hyaluronic Plumping Mist contains a super fine, low molecular weight and natural hyaluronic acid that will penetrate the skin to instantly hydrate and revive even the tiredest skin.
6. Give yourself a facial massage using a balm or oil, like Rose Otto Face Oil. Work the product upwards – this is the direction we want our skin to go in - not downwards! Start from the base of the neck, using small circular movements - not forgetting the tight muscles on the sides of the neck, working up behind the ears. Then work over the jaw, temples and forehead.
My favourite eye massage really helps counteract puffiness and brightens the eye area: apply Wonder Eye Cream when you do this to maximise the brightening results). Press along the top of the brows, working outwards, then gently pinch along them. Then firmly circle the eye area with index fingers. Use the heel of your hands, push out towards your ears from under the eye area for extreme de-puffing. Finish by massaging the temples – an excellent tension reliever.
7. Finish with a layer of serum and moisturiser. Vitamin C Repair Serum has that unique blend of uplifting essential oils I use in a professional facial. Follow with Collagen Boost Moisturiser, or Moisture Rich Face Cream to provide a final layer of deep nourishment to your skin.